This photo illustrates the opposite of the San Francisco Pride parade. I looked up from the beautiful chaos for a moment, and this is what I saw. I took some other photos of the initial gathering and the march, but they don't come close to showing what it felt like to be there. So imagine the opposite of the crisp grey angles of these buildings, and you'll know something important about San Francisco Pride. It felt like the ultimate special occasion – a party for the wonderful purpose of celebrating diversity and freedom. Last year, attendance was estimated at 1.2 million people, and I bet it was a similar number this year. Wow. Wow. Wow.
I was thrilled to be in the Parade – a perfect place to be. I walked/boogied down the street with Glide and I felt the heart-squeezing sweetness of being really welcome in this group even though I'm so new to the city.
This was the 40th anniversary of the San Francisco Pride march – "40 and Fabulous," they said. It began the year after the Stonewall riots in New York City that marked the beginning of the gay liberation movement. I noticed the political context of this year's Pride celebration, looking back and looking ahead. Right now the people of California are waiting for the court's decision about the challenge to Proposition 8. Same sex marriage still isn't legal here. In Canada, most Pride celebrations are small, but queer people all over the country can choose to be married. I was surprised to experience the scale and force of San Francisco Pride, knowing that this state and country don't support our legal rights. That doesn't make sense. But I know that change will happen soon...
After experiencing these two Pride events this weekend, I wish I could send a message to my 14 year old self, telling her about what it was like to be part of this celebration in San Francisco. It would be encouraging (heartening!) for her to know that I'm out and content and in vibrant company.
I was thrilled to be in the Parade – a perfect place to be. I walked/boogied down the street with Glide and I felt the heart-squeezing sweetness of being really welcome in this group even though I'm so new to the city.
This was the 40th anniversary of the San Francisco Pride march – "40 and Fabulous," they said. It began the year after the Stonewall riots in New York City that marked the beginning of the gay liberation movement. I noticed the political context of this year's Pride celebration, looking back and looking ahead. Right now the people of California are waiting for the court's decision about the challenge to Proposition 8. Same sex marriage still isn't legal here. In Canada, most Pride celebrations are small, but queer people all over the country can choose to be married. I was surprised to experience the scale and force of San Francisco Pride, knowing that this state and country don't support our legal rights. That doesn't make sense. But I know that change will happen soon...
After experiencing these two Pride events this weekend, I wish I could send a message to my 14 year old self, telling her about what it was like to be part of this celebration in San Francisco. It would be encouraging (heartening!) for her to know that I'm out and content and in vibrant company.
No comments:
Post a Comment