This is an A to Zed inventory of my experience in Expressive Arts Therapy at CIIS as I approach the end of the second semester of my second year of this three year program.
Anxiety. This is a busy semester with school-work, paid-work, practicum search, and everything else. I’m trying to stay balanced and be kind to myself, but anxiety sneaks in…
Books. I’m reading many, many case studies for my classes this semester. And I’m studying the whole DSM for a psychopathology course… (But I try not to diagnose myself.) I’ve also been reading some books for fun. Interesting books come across the circulation desk at the library while I’m working, and some arrive just for me through interlibrary loan. Here are some of my current school-related recommendations:
Collective Narrative Practice by David Denborough
Playful Approaches to Serious Problems by Jenny Freeman et al.
Just Therapy: A Journey by Charles Waldegrave et al.
Camera. I’ve been carrying my camera with me more often – inspired by spring, mostly. Taking photos helps me slow down and notice the changing season, and the regional landscape.
Dapper. As I go to practicum interviews I’m learning what my own version of professional clothing might be: Comfortable, practical, sharp.
Exploring. Even after a year and a half, I’m still just getting to know the Bay Area... It's wonderful to spend time in the forest and at the beach, but that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.
Forgetting. Sometimes I forget the strength of the discernment and purpose that originally inspired my interest in this work. But then I remember.
Gorgeous. At equinox: The lavender just came back, and there are some gorgeous flowers on my street – so many interesting and striking plants that I haven’t seen before. I wish I knew each of their names. The first leaf on the apple tree in my yard appeared last Wednesday. (Now there are two.)
Haiku poems. I’m continuing my practice of writing a haiku poem each day. I also want to find ways to celebrate National Poetry Month (April) by sharing my own writing and reading others’ poems.
Imagination. I appreciate that the resources of imagination and creativity are central in my program, and will continue to be important in my future work.
Juice. Someday I’m going to be settled in a particular place and have a car, so I can go on little road trips, and so I can drive to the grocery store and buy many litres of heavy juice – in the rain or snow.
Keeping in touch. My old computer perished suddenly during the first week of the semester. Since then I got a new one… It was an unexpected expense, but now Skype works so well. More Star Trek style conversations will happen in the near future.
Laughing. More, please.
Money. Limited resources, and the trust involved with committing to student loans.
Narrative therapy. This approach is becoming my favourite theoretical framework for many, many reasons.
Open houses. It’s best to find out about potential practicum sites through open houses rather than websites. I can tell which supervisors seem approachable and supportive as soon as I meet them in person.
Practicum. Preparing, applying, meeting, waiting, and then celebrating.
Queer contra dancing. Such fun!
Radio. I listen to lots of radio shows these days, mostly in podcast form. My current favourites: On Being, Ideas, Vinyl Café, Definitely Not the Opera, and Canada Live. I hope that the work of producing radio shows is still somewhere in my future.
Savouring. I'm starting to savour being here. I'm past the half-way point in my program, and I know that in a year and a half or so I'll be making plans to move. I'm also settled enough now that I have some favourite places and comfortable routines.
Tea. Many cups of tea accompany my paper-writing and my resting.
Umbrella. I have an umbrella now – finally. But I don't use it very often. I prefer putting up my hood instead.
Vancouver. I don’t know where I’ll live after I finish my program. But I imagine being in Canada, and perhaps living on the west coast. I’ll be looking for opportunities for work in my field and like-minded colleagues.
Wondering. Thinking about decisions and plans that will shape the next months and years.
XO. I’ve started signing off on emails and text messages this way quite often. I like it.
Yes. I’m trying to remember to say yes to events and adventures, even when my schoolwork piles up. These are the things I’ll remember years from now.
Zed. Always with Canadian pronunciation.
3 comments:
I wish I were as succinct as you! I love this post. It says so much, with so few words. It gives me a wonderful idea of what life has been like for you. Thank you!
hey b! loving this post ... xo
Post a Comment