Monday, October 25, 2010

Glimpse

Redwood texture, with moss.

And another view of the same tree.

I often return to an essay called "The Small Work in the Great Work" by Victoria Safford, in a collection called The Impossible Will Take a Little While edited by Paul Rogat Loeb. She wrote about planting ourselves at the gates of hope. She notices that sometimes this is a lonely place to be. "The place of truth-telling about your own soul first of all and its condition, the place of resistance and defiance, the piece of ground from which you see the world both as it is and as it could be, as it will be; the place from which you glimpse not only struggle, but joy in the struggle. And we stand there, beckoning and calling, telling people what we are seeing, asking people what they see" (188).
o

3 comments:

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Hi Bryna,
I didn't realize my comment would show up under my daughters name...I didn't read the "choose an identity"!
Terry

Terry said...

Hey Bryna,
I love reading your blog! Each time I open it the photos amaze me and your reflections invite me to pause.

The course readings you are doing sound intriguing... I have a sense that they are copious! I hope they are inspiring and insightful too.

Terry