Sunday, July 4, 2010
In(ter)dependence day
The fireworks are intense this evening, but intermittent. It sounds like they're coming from all directions. I can hear them, but only see a few... The highest ones explode in the sky over the apartment buildings across the street. (I just saw green, red and purple all at once.)
So many strangers wished me "Happy 4th!" today.
I was thinking about Independence Day with the people of Glide this morning. The minister called it Interdependence Day, reflecting on interconnectedness of all sorts. But the focus was on this theme: No one is free until all of us are free.
Being here, I suddenly have a context for all the things I've learned and heard about the United States – through news, television, movies, politics, songs, stories. And I realize that my impressions of this country have been informed primarily by the work of musicians, writers, artists, independent radio producers... These folks see how things could be, and are restless for change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment