This is a reflection I wrote a year or so ago about my experience at Winter Session, to be included in a book called The Edge of the Centre about the history of Naramata Centre (published in July, 2009 by Wood Lake Books).
I remember being greeted by vivid stars as I arrived in Naramata on a clear evening at the very beginning of 2008. I had never been to Naramata Centre before, and I didn’t know what to expect. I was responding to circumstances in the preceding months that had all worked together to nudge me towards the decision to attend Winter Session. I was intensely aware of the luxury of spending three and a half months in Naramata – a time of sabbatical, challenge and change.
A line from a blessing prayer in a book called Eternal Echoes by John O’Donohue says, “May you succumb to the danger of growth.” That phrase was important to me throughout my time at Winter Session. In my experience, the danger of growth included being open and trusting within the Winter Session community. I felt blessed and so grateful to be able to both accompany and be accompanied by others in our learning and growing.
Winter in Naramata is sparse and beautiful. The colour of the vibrant blue sky contrasts with the warm yellows of the land. Interesting rocks by the lake, willow trees without leaves and bright stars stand out in this quiet landscape.
Held by the simplicity of these surroundings, I experienced an abundance of ideas and emotion; I felt free to break open and experience everything deeply. I loved holding silence as a community, simple rituals and long walks. The winter was filled with actions that contributed to a sense of intentional living.
As a Winter Session participant, I gained unexpected understanding about the richness and value of connections between people, and the importance of combining creativity and spirituality. As I reflect on this experience, it continues to challenge me to make lively decisions as I imagine new possibilities for the future.
o
No comments:
Post a Comment