River
How does a river feel early in the spring
when the ice of its surface melts
slowly; suddenly
and currents of water flow freely?
I'm thirsty for trust – a cool deep knowing
that my actions can be useful, and enough.
How does a river feel as it lets go
rushing; streaming
knowing that because of all this movement
it will never be the same?
I'm thirsty for rest – in the midst
of unfamiliar places and profound change.
How does a river feel as it travels over
more rocks than it can count
firmly; gently
moving among all the creatures living within it?
I'm thirsty for expression – voicing my ideas and fears
in the process of all this learning.
How does a river feel as it collects energy
and momentum within the safety of its banks
tumbling; flowing
being called in one clear direction?
I'm thirsty for courage as I choose to live
with intention – loving possibilities into action.
How does a river feel as it encounters an edge
and becomes a waterfall
surrendering; trusting
moving with the integrity of gravity?
Naramata, BC
o
1 comment:
i am glad you found a way to weave this in your essay...
Post a Comment